AICP Candidate Pilot Program
Paths to AICP
The AICP Candidate Pilot Program provides you with a path to start earlier — the criteria to become AICP are the same.
Put Your Career On the Fast Track
Distinguish yourself from your peers through the AICP Candidate Pilot Program. Demonstrate to potential employers a commitment to mastering planning skills and maintaining the highest standard of ethical practice.
About the AICP Candidate Pilot Program
- Students and graduates of PAB accredited programs can:
- Enroll in the program at any time
- Register for the AICP Certification Exam starting in December or June after you graduate
- Use the payment program for exam fees
- Take the exam prior to earning professional planning experience
Realize the Career Advancement Benefits
- Get a head start — Take the exam after earning your degree
- Distinguish yourself — Use the AICP Candidate designation after passing the exam
- Learn from the best — Get career advice and guidance from an AICP mentor
- Make connections — Network with the planning community at local and national events
- Lead the profession — Stand out as an AICP Certified Planner
Step One: Enroll in the AICP Candidate Pilot Program | $35
Qualified APA members may enroll in the program at any time during the year by:
- Submitting education verification documents (graduates submit documents upon enrolling; students submit documentation after graduation);
- Committing to the AICP Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct;
- Paying a $35 fee.
APA will verify program enrollment for graduate participants no later than four weeks after an enrollee completes these steps. Accepted enrollees are encouraged to review these exam prep tips.
IMPORTANT: Although eligible members may enroll in the AICP Candidate Pilot Program at any time, since graduation is required to register for the exam, when you enroll may affect when you can take the AICP Certification Exam. Members who join the program as graduates must enroll by a deadline set for each exam cycle. Specific dates are posted below.
|Program Enrollment for November 2021 Exam||April 1 at 3:00 p.m. CT – September 9, 2021 at 3:00 p.m. CT|
Requirements for Step Two depend on whether the AICP Candidate Pilot Program participant was a student or a graduate at the time he or she enrolled in the program.
Program participants must graduate to register for the exam. It could take APA up to four weeks to examine graduation verification documents. Participants should refer to the specific deadlines shown below.
Registering for the exam:
- Register for the exam by paying a $100 exam fee in December–April (for the May exam) or in June–October (for the November exam);
- Submit graduation verification documents (if applicable);
- Schedule an exam date with Prometric up to two days before the exam administration opens.
November 2021 AICP Certification Exam Application Dates
|Exam Registration Opens||June 1, 2021, 9:00 a.m. CT|
|Exam Registration Closes||October 29, 2021, 3:00 p.m. CT|
|Transfer Deadline||October 29, 2021, 3:00 p.m. CT|
|Testing Window||November 1-26, 2021|
STEP THREE: SUBMIT YOUR PROFESSIONAL PLANNING EXPERIENCE | $0
The next opportunity to submit your professional planning experience will be Spring of 2022.
STEP FOUR: SUBMIT PLANNING EXPERIENCE ASSESSMENT
The next opportunity to submit your planning experience assessment will be Spring of 2022.
AICP Candidate Pilot Program Overview
AICP Candidate Pilot Program Fees
|Step One: AICP Candidate Enrollment Fee||$35|
|Step Two: AICP Candidate Exam Registration Fee||$100|
|Step Three: AICP Candidate Work Experience||$0|
|Step Four: AICP Candidate Essay Fee/Expediated Essay Review Fee||$375/$445|
|**All fees are non-refundable.|
If you have additional questions, contact us using our customer service form.