Rezoning Program Manager
City of Charlotte Planning, Design & Development Department
Charlotte, NC United States
How to ApplyURL: https://www.jobapscloud.com/oec/Charlotte/Jobs/Bulletin?R1=2308&R2=212000&R3=01
The City of Charlotte Planning, Design and Development Department (Entitlement Services Division) is seeking to fill a senior level leadership position responsible for leading, managing and enhancing the City's rezoning process. This is a highly visible role that involves working directly with the Charlotte City Council, Zoning Committee of the Planning Commission, community members and representatives of the development community. The ideal candidate for this position will have substantive zoning and public speaking experience and be able to identify and implement efficiency improvements to the City's rezoning process.
The Rezoning Manager coordinates the day-to-day operations of the department's rezoning process. This position includes managing the work and mentoring the team directly assigned to the rezoning process, as well as coordinating with staff in other division and departments. The work involves overseeing the multi-step rezoning process, analyzing specific rezoning requests, receiving input from community members, negotiating with rezoning petitioners, developing staff recommendations, and presenting petitions and staff recommendations to elected and appointed bodies on rezoning requests.
Applicant must demonstrate initiative and self-motivation in a fast-paced and ever-changing work environment. Apply now! Application Deadline is October 1, 2023.
- Requires a four-year degree with a specialization in urban planning or related field, with 7 years of thorough and relevant experience in land use planning, public administration, architecture, or related field. (A Master's Degree may substitute for 2 years of relevant experience.)
- AICP or other certifications (AIA, PE, GISP, LEED, etc.) are desirable, but not required.
Specific skills required include:
A thorough knowledge of planning principles and the regulatory approaches to implement these principles is required. Experience administering development regulations, especially zoning regulations and rezoning processes, is required. Familiarity with Charlotte's development regulations and rezoning process, as well as rezoning approaches in other communities, especially within North Carolina, is preferable.
- Demonstrated leadership and management experience in a planning agency
- Demonstrated ability to develop consensus between differing stakeholder perspectives
- Experience working closely with government boards or commissions
- Ability to analyze development proposals and lead discussions/negotiations related to such proposals
- Extensive public speaking experience
- Professional writing skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to manage and improve complex processes
- Ability to work comfortably with diverse groups on a variety of issues
- An understanding of North Carolina statues related to rezoning procedures
About the Planning, Design & Development Department:
The Charlotte Planning, Design & Development Department (PD&D) is responsible for planning activities for the City of Charlotte and portions of Mecklenburg County, an area covering over 300 square miles and serving more than 875,000 residents. The department's vision is to collaborate with community partners, guide growth with innovative and creative solutions, sustain our natural environment and community character, and design vibrant and inclusive places. The Department includes over 100 members organized into divisions covering Community Planning, Land Development, Community Tree Canopy Preservation, Entitlement Services, Urban Design, and Charlotte Regional Transportation Planning Organization (CRTPO).
$91,237 - $114,045 Commensurate with Experience